Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The greatest gift

My most prized possession and grandest gift is my testimony of our Savior Jesus Christ. As I thought of what I could gift special people in my life, I thought of sharing my testimony with those whom I love. This time of year is special because we put a special emphasis on the birth of Him who came into the world to save me and you.

“For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9:6)

I know that Christ came! I know that a little baby named Jesus came into this world to a loving mother named Mary and I know that He was born to grant me and you eternal life. His birth means to me that God loved me enough to send His son to live a perfect life and to give me a perfect example to follow.

“For God so loved [me and you], that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)

I know that Jesus is the Christ, I know that “..there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through he name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent.” (Mosiah 3:17)

This knowledge has helped me understand who the Savior is in relation to me. These scriptures have allowed me to understand why He came into this world and why I should follow Him. I would like to now share why I love Him and why I follow Him. “And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.” (Alma 7:11-12)

It wasn’t until I was a 19-year-old missionary, sitting in front of a broken-hearted mother, crying for her wayward son that I internalized and understood that Jesus Christ came into this world to mend her heart. He lived and He died to heal this precious daughter of God. Then I knew that Jesus Christ came into the world to heal my heart, to calm my storms, to carry me when I physically and emotionally couldn’t anymore.

Jesus the Christ came into this world to save me and to save you.

I love Christ because He first loved me. I love Him because I know who He is, I know what He did for me and I know that with Him in my life I can do all things because He is the source of my strength. I testify with all the strength of my soul that Christ came into this world and atoned for the sins of all the children of God. I know that He rose the third day on a beautiful spring morning giving hope to the entire human race that death is not the end. I further testify that “All that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.” (PMG) I have experienced it.

“He lives! All glory to his name! He lives, my Savior still the same. Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives: ‘I know that my Redeemer lives!’” (Hymn 136)

He is my greatest gift, He is my anchor, He is my Savior. He lives.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment